Radiation Safety Inspections
A properly managed radiation safety program requires a comprehensive internal inspection program. Types and frequencies of these inspections depend on many factors such as the nature, quantity, and use of radioactive materials. The inspections are designed for the specific uses and facilities involved to assist authorized users in maintaining a safe environment.
Nature of Inspection: The inspections will consist of items applicable to the specific authorization and may include:
- A review of the authorization file to ascertain that all requirements are observed and completed.
- A review of inventory of radioactive materials to ensure that only authorized radionuclides are present in quantities equal to or less than the authorization limits.
- An examination of posting and labeling in applicable locations.
- Availability of proper instrumentation to conduct authorized activities.
- A review of contamination survey records to ensure that surveys are conducted in accordance with the Radiation Safety Program Manual.
- An observation of laboratory procedures to determine compliance with safety policies and reliance upon appropriate guidelines.
- A review of radioactive waste disposal procedures and records to determine compliance with applicable regulations and policies.
- A review of the acquisition and use of personnel monitoring equipment in accordance with the Radiation Safety Program Manual.
- Assurance that those using radioactive material are properly instructed consistent with the Radiation Safety Program Manual.
- Assessment of any potential contamination.
Routine Inspections: Each authorization for the possession and use of radioactive material will be routinely inspected by the EHS staff. Authorizations for the use of radioactive material in medical diagnosis or therapy will be inspected at approximate monthly intervals. All other authorizations will be inspected at a frequency determined by the Radiation Safety Officer. However, these inspections will be conducted at least semi-annually.
Special Inspections: These are designated for the resolution of any complaints, allegations, incidents, or as a follow-up of previous non-compliance issues. These inspections will be conducted at the discretion of the Radiation Safety Officer in consultation with the Radiation Safety Committee.
Inspection Findings and Enforcement: The inspection findings are reviewed by the Radiation Safety Officer and a report is sent to the authorized user responsible for the inspected activity. All noncompliance items will be categorized and enforced in accordance with University policies.
The Authorized User is responsible for responding to all items of non-compliance with appropriate corrective actions. Repeat violations will result in progressive enforcement actions by the Radiation Safety Committee as defined in the Enforcement Policy.